This plan was adopted by the District of Tofino Council on November 12, 2014.
Tofino’s Tourism Master Plan (TMP) process began in late 2013 and was facilitated by the Whistler Centre for Sustainability. The plan is a long-term development framework for tourism in Tofino that guides tourism development in a coordinated and forward-looking way. This TMP takes stock of the current state of affairs and looks at the ‘big picture’ of Tofino’s tourism sector, providing a vision, goals, and strategies to guide more specific actions. The TMP is a living document that needs to remain flexible in order to adapt to changes. The objectives of the process were:
- To develop a compelling vision for tourism that will provide direction for tourism planning;
- To explore the significance of the tourism industry to Tofino’s economy;
- To engage the community in planning and help residents understand any proposed tourism-related changes;
- To assess and detail how to enhance the tourism experience for visitors by examining current services, facilities and transportation network;
- To define the roles and responsibilities of public and private stakeholders in enhancing the Tofino experience for visitors;
- To develop an implementation approach, including roles and responsibilities of public and private stakeholders;
- To develop a mechanism to monitor success and areas of needed improvement; and
- To align the Tofino’s Resort Development Strategy with the TMP.
Over 200 individuals participated in the development of the plan through community surveys, open houses, web engagement and stakeholder interviews. The plan was developed with the involvement of a tourism master plan working group made up of the District’s key tourism partners including; Tourism Tofino, Pacific Rim National Park, the Tofino-Long Beach Chamber of Commerce and the Raincoast Education Society. The plan’s strategic directions have been reviewed by the District’s Community Economic Development Advisory Committee.
Manager of Resort Municipality Initiative Services
250-725-3229 (ext 23)